The Universal translator is a part of MZ-WinTranslator V18. It allows you to lookup words and translate texts in any Windows application. This first workshop is an introduction and gives you an overview of the Universal translator and some useful hints.
Running the Universal translator
- Click "Start", "Programs", "MZ-WinTranslator V18" to run the Translator.
- Choose "Extras", "Universal translator". The main window disappears and a small toolbar appears instead.
The following image shows the functions of the toolbar buttons:
The most important button (it starts the translation of the selection) is .
Translating using the Universal translator
If you want to translate using the Uni translator, you should always proceed as follows, after the Uni translator and the program which contains the foreign text have been started:
Sample translation in WordPad
The following example will show you how easy it is to translate using the Uni translator. WordPad will represent any Windows application. It should be installed on every Windows PC.
- First run WordPad via "Start", "Programs", "Accessories", "WordPad".
- Type the sentence "This is a sample text" (without the quotation marks " ) into the empty text window:
- Now run the Universal translator (see above: "Running the Universal translator").
- Select the recently typed sentence in WordPad.
- Click the button in the Uni translator.
- Your screen should now look as follows:
- Now only select the word "sample" in WordPad.
Please notice that the translation "Dies ist ein Beispiel Text" (highlighted in yellow) remains visible while you change the selection in WordPad. We will come back to this fact soon.
- Click the button again after you selected the word. You will see the following on your screen:
- Now click the box in front of "Hide automatically" in the Uni translator:
- Select the phrase "sample text" in WordPad now.
Please observe that the display of the translations disappears after the mouse click into the WordPad window. The option "Hide automatically" is responsible for this behaviour. You may turn it on and off according to your wishes, at any time.
- Click the button now. The translation "sample text" appears.
As you see, the display of the translation disappears immediately. Pressing "ESC" closes the display of the translation. This is especially useful if "Hide automatically" is deactivated.
Taking translations into the source application
- Now select "sample" again and translate it. Select the second translation ("Muster") in the yellow text box using the mouse.
- Then click the button (Insert translated text).
As you see, the previously selected translation "Muster" has been transferred into WordPad, or in other words: it has been inserted there. If you would not have selected a translation, the first translation ("Beispiel" in our case) would have been inserted.
Read texts aloud
The Universal translator is not only able to translate, but also to read any texts (a word, a phrase, etc.). This feature requires that the speech output modules are installed. If the English speech output is not installed, please skip this paragraph.
- Select the entire text "This is a sample text" in WordPad.
- Click the button in the Universal translator.
- The program reads the text aloud.
Direct search in the Translator dictionary
As last step in this introductory workshop we will show you what happens if you search for a word which is not in the dictionary.
- Add another "t" directly in front of the word "text".
- Select the new word "ttext".
- Click the lightning button. You see the following:
It is now possible to search the dictionary for any terms. Type the search term into the "Search:" field.
- Finally press the "ESC" key to close the dictionary display.
- Use the lightning button to translate words (e.g. "sample"), phrases (e.g. "sample text") or sentences (e.g. "This is a sample text"). The program automatically detects whether it has to search for a word or translate a text.
- The "Insert translated text" button allows you to insert the translation into the source application.
- If you search for an unknown word, the Translator dictionary appears and allows you to search in it.
- Activate the "Hide automatically" option if the display of the translation shall automatically disappear as soon as the Uni translator is no longer the active window.
- Leave "Hide automatically" deactivated if the display of the translation shall not disappear when activating another application.
- Press the "ESC" key to close the display of the translation or the dictionary at any time.
The second workshop will show you some other useful features of the Uni translator.
To second workshop
To workshop overview